Friday, September 21, 2012

Hopping the Language Barrier


It’s hard to believe that a month ago, I was packing my bags and leaving Chicago.  After a looooong flight to Seoul and then another flight to Kota Kinabalu, I would find myself in a totally new world.  A month later, that world is gradually becoming my home for the year.  I think one of the greatest challenges that I’ve wrestled with is wanting to get a handle on the language.  I certainly try to pick up new words every day, but I also constantly want to know more.  I want to speak with people and ask them questions.  I simply want to find out the news and know what’s going on and how people are doing.  There are many a time when I sit in a room and hear full conversations and only understand a few words.  Sometimes I just wish I could get it!  On top of that, it feels like not knowing much about what’s being said around me is a constant reminder of how much I don’t know. 

But I think that over my time here so far, one of my greatest struggles is also the way in which God has been showing me other ways that people communicate love.  Before I departed from KK, one of my fellow YAGMs, Ashley, lent me a book called The Five Love Languages.  Essentially, it discusses the way that people feel that they are loved.  These ways include words of affirmation, gifts, acts of service, quality time, and physical touch.  Considering these ways helped me to see how my community has been welcoming me and loving me even when I don’t always know what they’re saying.  They have made an effort to hop the language barrier when words fail.  There have been many meals, handshakes, games of cards, offers to sit down a while and rest, and many other little things that build up and amount to a warm welcome.  The people here have been accompanying me and meeting me where I am to show me through all the ins and outs of culture and life here and help me to adjust.  Seeing them get around language has made me stop and consider the ways that I can express love even if I can’t speak.  How to I let those around me know that I deeply appreciate all that they do for me?  How do I share myself without words?  The language will come in time, but I just have to speak out and let them know what I know.  I’ll pick it up and I know that they’ll be glad to help me along the way.  In the meantime, we’ll just keep hopping the language barrier and reaching out in love. 

3 comments:

  1. Hey 'becca, you've been here before. Remember as a teenager how hard it was to communicate with your old parents? You'll do fine. Your best means of communication are your hug and your smile. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written! I'm enjoying your journey through your blog. Take care...I love you!
    Aunt Edwina

    ReplyDelete
  3. When all else fails, try sign language. Some things are universal ;)

    ReplyDelete