Sunday, October 28, 2012

Come! Eat!

After nearly two months here in Tenom, I suppose it's about time that I fill you in on one of my favorite spots to eat, there's a restaurant in Food Court Tenom run by two of the members of the church, Auntie Siami and Auntie Ina. (In Malaysia, anyone who is the age of your parents is usually referred to by the affectionate term "Auntie" or "Uncle" regardless of whether or not you are actually related to them and even if you have never met them in your life.)  The restaurant is situated on the opposite end of town from my house about ten minutes away, but is near the market so I end up walking by quite a bit.  It's an open air spot that shares a lot with about three other restaurants and opens right out to the street.  Most days I can sit down under the cover and catch a decent breeze while I wait.  The food alone would be reason enough to call this place my favorite.  Sometimes I order and sometimes Auntie Ina or Auntie Siami will just bring out a dish they think I will like and tell me what it's called.  (I've really expanded my tastes this way.)  But it's the people here that make this spot a little oasis and refuge for me.  The other day, I was walking by myself down the street trying to remember what was in the refrigerator back at the house and wondering what I was going to make for lunch when I heard someone call my name.  I looked up to see Auntie Siami standing on the sidewalk across the street motioning for me to come over.  "Masuk! Masuk!" (Come in! Come in!)  "Rebecca, Kamu suda makan?" (Have you eaten?)  When I told her no, she steered me to a table and said, "Daduk!  Kamu ada mee sup."  (Sit down.  You have noodle soup.)  This wasn't a question that I could say no to, but it also wasn't forceful.  Auntie Siami and Auntie Ina saw that I was out by myself and jumped on an opportunity to serve.  They took it upon themselves to care for me.  Someone could have just as easily waved as I walked by and things would have been fine, but they wanted to share time with me and provide.  Right away, they came over with soup and iced coffee (which is what I like to get when I go over).  Despite the fact that it was lunch hour, Auntie Ina, Auntied Siami, or both of them would sit and talk while I ate.  As I got up to leave, they insisted that I not pay.  This meal was their gift.  Their kindness was the highlight of my morning.

Thing is, this is not an uncommon occurrence,  my housemate, Irene, and I often go there to relax after walking around and catch up on what's going on with people.  Sometimes they let us pay.  But obviously, the free meals and the good food aren't the reason why I look forward to stopping by.  It's the feeling you get when you sit around your own living room with your friends.  It's a place where I can sit down and just be for a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment