Thursday, October 4, 2012

Sabah time...


It seems that lately, time has been on my mind as I process what’s been going on here in Tenom.  On a day to day basis, time seems to go snail’s pace one minute and leap into hyper speed the next. Even when I look at my schedule, it seems that way.  The beginning of the week sets off at a leisurely pace with English lessons and the end of the week is filled with more lessons, more to do, and soon, choir rehearsals (Yes, I will have choir back in my life! I’m helping out with the Tenom Youth Choir.)  Long story short, I find myself wondering at the end of the day, “Were all the hours actually sixty minutes long?  Some could have only been 20.  Some could have been 90.” 

All this thinking about time takes me back to Greek classes in college when we talked about kairos (καιρὀς) time and chronos time (χρόνος).  Chronos time is the measured time.  Sixty seconds in a minute, sixty minutes in an hour.  Kairos time is living in God’s time.  Things happen according to God’s time.  As long as I’ve been in school, I’ve been focused on the chronos time.  I wrote papers before a particular due date, I woke up at a certain time everyday in order to be on time to class.  I lived by a pretty strict and repetitive schedule from week to week. 

But my time here has made me adjust and tune in to what God’s time is.  Meetings don’t start at a strict time, they start when everyone has gathered and had time to greet one another.  Often, plans are made at the drop of a hat and everyone figures out how to make it work.  On the other hand, someone may decide that if you look a bit tired, it’s time to take care of yourself and take a short break before heading back to work.  I’ve found that breaking off the chronos time has made me realize that I really do have all the time I need.  I may be rushing to make last minute plans on an English lesson, but someone is there to help out.  I may feel like I don’t need rest and that the afternoon is going by entirely too slow, but that I have the time to reflect and unpack more than I thought I did.  Or maybe, it’s the perfect time for someone to drop in for a visit and we end up talking all afternoon.  In the end, I end up appreciating all that time that I didn’t think I needed.  For me, moving into the kairos time has meant holding each moment for as long as a I have it and realizing that some of those moments will be short and fleeting as they need to be while others will stretch out for me.  Some may call this strange pace, this living from moment to moment and taking the time to leisurely stroll to each one, Sabah time. But I think it’s deeper.  I think it’s God time. 

2 comments:

  1. The Indonesian term is djam karet -- "the hour that stretches". Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love the way you write, Rebecca! This post is a great reminder to all of us that we should be attuned to God's Spirit and the gifts that spirit brings us at any given time. Thank you; keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete